I obtained my first degree from the Department of Mathematics and Mechanics of the Saratov State University (Russia) in 1998. Soon after graduating, I was offered the opportunity to do a Ph.D. in theoretical solid mechanics at Salford University. My dissertation, written under supervision of Graham Rogerson and defended in early 2002, was devoted to the modelling of waves that propagate in thin pre-stressed plates. Upon the completion, I was offered a research fellowship at the Department of Mathematics of the University of Manchester, which allowed me to extend my Ph.D. research to non-stationary waves. After completing this project in 2003, I wished to test my theoretical understanding of non-stationary waves in practice and did a three year research project on blast loading of structures at the Department of Civil and Structural Engineering of the University of Sheffield.
Selected publicationsListed below are several papers that I feel particularly proud to have co-authored.
- Pichugin, A. V. and Rogerson, G. A. (2002) An asymptotic membrane-like theory for long wave motion in a pre-stressed elastic plate, Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series A, 458(2022), pp. 1447–1468, doi:10.1098/rspa.2001.0932. bura
- Kaplunov, J. D. and Pichugin, A. V. (2005) A bending quasi-front generated by an instantaneous impulse loading at the edge of a semi-infinite pre-stressed incompressible elastic plate, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 53(5), pp. 1079–1098, doi:10.1016/j.jmps.2004.12.002. bura
- Zernov, V., Pichugin, A. V. and Kaplunov, J. (2006) Eigenvalue of a semi-infinite elastic strip, Proceedings of the Royal Society A, 462(2068), pp. 1255–1270, doi:10.1098/rspa.2005.1615. bura
- Craster, R. V., Kaplunov, J. and Pichugin, A. V. (2010) High frequency homogenization for periodic media, Proceedings of the Royal Society A, 466(2120), pp. 2341–2362, doi:10.1098/rspa.2009.0612.
- Tyas, A., Pichugin, A. V. and Gilbert, M. (2011) Optimum structure to carry a uniform load between pinned supports: exact analytical solution, Proceedings of the Royal Society A, 467(2128), pp. 1101–1120, doi:10.1098/rspa.2010.0376.
- Pichugin, A. V., Tyas, A., Gilbert, M. and He, L. (2015) Optimum structure for a uniform load over multiple spans, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 52(6), pp. 1041–1050, doi:10.1007/s00158-015-1278-0.
- Nolde, E., Pichugin, A. V. and Kaplunov, J. (2018) An asymptotic higher-order theory for rectangular beams, Proceedings of the Royal Society A, 474(2214), 20180001, doi:10.1098/rspa.2018.0001.
My principal teaching responsibilities during the academic year 2017/18 were MA2698 «Computing for Finance», MA2741 «Vector Calculus and Application» (Term 2: Introduction to Fluid Mechanics) and the parts of MA1795 concerned with Applied Projects and Matlab programming. If you are a Brunel student looking for the electronic supplementary materials prepared for any of these modular blocks, please go to the appropriate section of the Blackboard Learn.